JOB TITLE: English Teacher
DEPARTMENT: English Teaching Department
REPORTING TO: Director of Studies
NUMBER OF HOURS A WEEK: 24
The main objectives of an English teacher in the ELT Dpt. are to teach English classes to a variety of levels and age groups and class size — in such a way as to ensure students learning, satisfaction, motivation and attendance in line with the school’s academic demands, methodology and syllabus.
- To ensure students learn by preparing classes which are well staged and challenging with clear objectives in terms of skills and language; ensuring a variety of interaction within the class.
- To meet the students’ needs by designing / altering the content of the class accordingly and creating good rapport / group dynamics with the students
- To follow the school’s syllabus and guidelines ensuring that material is covered in line with the school syllabus / study plan
- To generate in due time the necessary paperwork in accordance with the administrative needs of the school
- Students Learn
- Ensuring that classes are well-staged with clear learning objectives
- Providing for a variety of interaction patterns within the class
- Ensuring that no students dominate the class — nominating students as necessary
- Ensuring that students are involved in the learning process
- Helping students with meaning, form and pronunciation of new grammar / vocabulary
- Making sure students have opportunities to practice new grammar / vocabulary
- Providing opportunities to improve students’ spoken fluency / confidence
- Monitoring students / being aware of their progress / work in the class
- Ensuring that instructions are clear and concise
- Ensuring there is a balance between focus and activity types in class
- Correcting students spoken and written errors appropriately and sensitively to ensure motivation and learning
- Reacting to students questions, problems in class
- Maintaining correct pace / rhythm to the class
- Starting and finishing the class on time — changing or altering the class plan as necessary
- Ensuring that the aims of the lesson are achieved
- Students needs
- Selecting and adapting material to fit students’ needs, their strengths, weaknesses and interests
- Building on and being aware of students background and previous learning experience
- Creating a good rapport with the students and facilitating good group dynamics
- School Syllabus
- Covering the school syllabus
- Notifying DoS / ADoS if you get behind
- Maintaining register of attendance up to date
- Maintaining class record sheet / homework record up to date and clear
- Completing exam record sheets, handing them in on time
- Writing reports correctly, handing them in on time
BASIC SKILLS / COMPETENCIES needed for the job
- Student centred: attentive to the student’s needs, acting on them in a way that ensures their satisfaction with the class.
- Empathy: able to understand others. Accurately reads people’s moods or non-verbal cues. Understands the reasons for another’s behaviour. Listens attentively.
- Communication skills: uses an engaging style in own presentations. Uses non-verbal cues like tone of voice to express feelings that reinforce messages in presentations. Uses examples or visual aids to clarify or underscore message when presenting.
ATTITUDES and PERSONALITY TRAITS needed for the job
- Flexibility: willingness to accept and adapt to challenges / changes in the timetable needs of the school — such as substitutions
- Enthusiastic: shows genuine, energetic interest in teaching and an eagerness to help students
- Feedback oriented: receptive to feedback. Likes to actively search feedback in order to improve.
- Teamwork: positive attitude to work with team members. Willingness to collaborate, help others, and share ideas and material with others.
QUALIFICATIONS and TRAINING needed for the job.
- Education: University degree
- Knowledge: С1 / С2 level of English
- Experience: 3 years teaching experience with Kids/Teens/Adults
teaching exam classes FCE / CAE / CPE
teaching specialised groups — 1 to 1, ESP, Conversation classes